Welcome to Ópusztaszer Heritage Park!
Our 136-acre theme park less then 2-hours south of Budapest, half-an-hour north of Szeged on the M5 highway (10 km from the Kistelek exit) invites you to explore the history of Hungary as well as the culture and life-style of people living on the Southern Great Plain. Beautifully nestled in the Pusztaszer Protected Landscape, the Heritage Park marks one of the most sacred and important historical sites in Hungary, Ópusztaszer, where in the year 896 the modern nation of Hungary was born.
Ópusztaszer is the cradle of the state of Hungary. Through its history, it strengthens the nation, and gives hope to future generations. According to Hungarian tradition, it was at this place, around 896 AD that Chief Árpád, the Duke of the Magyars and his chieftains (his leading men) pitched up their tents, and codified the common laws of their new country. Thus, today’s Heritage Park is far more than a tourist attraction: it is the place where all Hungarians (Magyars) can turn to in order to strengthen their national identity, to remember and preserve their history, culture, and traditions.
In five distinct areas, the Heritage Park
- Exhibits one of Europe’s largest panorama paintings, the Feszty-panorama: Arrival of the Conquering Hungarians into the Carpathian Basin
- Invites visitors to discover the archeological excavations of a medieval monastery
- Raises awareness and appreciation of nature, and understanding of the history of the region through exhibits in the eco-friendly Csete yurts
- Replicates village life in a living Open Air Museum with 15 reconstructed buildings from the Interwar Period, and
- Offers a visually capturing display of traditional Hungarian horsemanship, including archery, horseback wrestling, racing, and outfits dating back to the time of Genghis Khan and earlier.
Here at Ópusztaszer Heritage Park history is brought to life for thousands of visitors annually through family-oriented presentations, original costumes, and thrilling events and adventures. Come, “Step Into the Past” at Ópusztaszer.
March 31 – October 31: Tuesday – Sunday: 10.00 AM–06.00 PM (Summer season)
November 1 - March 30: Tuesday - Sunday: 10.00 AM - 04.00 PM (Winter season)
In Winter season outdoor exhibitions (Farms of Heritage Village (skansen), Dam Keeper's House, Roadman's House, Forester's House, Csete Yurts) are closed. Services of the Nomadic Park suspended for the Winter season.
"Feszty and His Age" guided tours:
- Every 30 minutes during open hours
- To avoid disappointment, pre-booking is advised.
Several community groups and organizations use Park facilities regularly and offer programs and instructional and entertaining demonstrations.